According to an article by TechJury, artificial intelligence (AI) will ultimately affect almost every area of our lives.
It’s already begun to do so.
This can be seen by the fact that AI startups expanded 14 times over the last two decades. The expansion of AI allows for bigger developments in the future.
The English Oxford Living Dictionary defines artificial intelligence as involving activities focused on granting machines intelligence that allows them to “perform tasks…such as visual perception, speech recognition, decision making, and translating between languages.”
While the perception of AI remains within the limits of sci-fi robots for some, in reality, the increase in the development of AI is directly resulting in more comprehensive access to medical care, encouraging higher responsiveness in police and military, and ultimately changing the workforce of the future.
The most recent AI transformations
Within the upcoming decade, AI is expected to have the ability to outperform people in tasks that include even writing an essay. However, it’s a possibility that these predictions are over-ambitious; fifty years ago it was thought that most offices would be paperless, but that is a goal that is just now being executed.
The following list covers how AI is revolutionizing different economic and societal sectors.
- Transportation: Self-driving cars, which are currently being tested on U.S. roads, are the most recent advancement of AI in vehicles. For years, other tools that utilized real-time perception and automatic decision-making have been added to newer vehicles (such as anti-lock braking systems and traction control systems). Over time, these vehicles will become safer drivers than humans, changing the field of personal and ridesharing transportation, delivery systems, and roadways.
- Home services: One of the earlier AI home innovations was smart robotic vacuum cleaners. Now, due to advancements such as cloud-based machine learning and the expansion of speech understanding and smart home devices, running a home and its appliances can be fully automated.
- Health care: This is an area that has benefited greatly from technological advancements and innovations in data use; examples include personal monitoring devices and mobile apps, electronic health records, and surgical and service robots. Through AI innovations, the healthcare industry is projected to save billions of dollars. Furthermore, AI-based applications that allow direct access to information will likely improve health outcomes and therefore the quality of life for millions within the near future.
- Education: Online career- and degree-related learning systems are allowing for workers to learn new skills while maintaining their current ones. Furthermore, interactive computerized tutors are a resource to expand knowledge in science, language, math, and other subjects. The incorporation of educational technology will most likely increase and become a larger part of face-to-face learning.
- Jobs: While many are worrying about the day that AI technologies will replace millions of workers, putting them out of jobs, the reality is very different. Rather than simply taking the jobs of fast-food employees and truck drivers, AI technologies will change the demand for jobs needed and create more varying Furthermore, AI is also useful in the hiring process, as more and more recruiters are using technology to make hiring more efficient.
- Disadvantaged communities: Although AI sounds like a technology accessible to only the wealthy, that is not the case in reality. While using AI for luxury may be much more prevalent for millionaires, AI technology can still benefit disadvantaged communities as well as those in poverty in a multitude of ways. Other than education and healthcare, for example, AI technologies may be able to help government agencies improve food distribution, reduce waste, and make resources more accessible to communities.
- Entertainment: AI will, of course, be used for entertainment and leisure purposes. Many companies are already using smart technology tools to adjust recommended posts, drive crowdsourcing initiatives, as well as develop new gaming platforms.
- Law Enforcement: In the future, border administration, as well as law enforcement, is predicted to rely on AI technology heavily. Currently, the tools we use for law enforcement include surveillance drones, body cameras, fraud algorithms, as well as predictive policing. In the future, these tools can be combined with AI technology for more efficient tracking and gathering of crucial information. Investigators will be able to better ensure safety as well as national security with the help of AI.
How Will Labor Be Impacted?
The reality is, that machines are taking over many human jobs. A vast number of industries are being affected by the tidal wave of AI, but most people think of only librarians, fast-food staff, retail sales associates, and traditional media. However, claims adjusters, stock traders, researchers, and other highly valued jobs will also be impacted. Some people fear massive unemployment, but studies have shown conflicting results. On the one hand, there’s no denying the fact that automated machines will replace a great number of jobs. However, many experts believe that the AI boom will also create new jobs and shift the demand for workers to different areas overall, similar to the Industrial Revolution. Generally, as certain professions fade away, others grow to fill the gap.
Furthermore, many studies have found that numerous professions cannot be replicated with AI technology. These jobs tend to involve high critical thinking skills, social and emotional intelligence, as well as creativity. One of the significant roles that will be left untouched by AI technologies is coding. Human programmers are necessary not only due to their unique creativity but also because humans are, of course, necessary to repair and innovate AI technology.
AI technology coupled with the creative genius of humans will surely transform the future to be more efficient as well as improve the existing labor force.
The time is now to find your perfect job and to get paid what you deserve; the time is now to join the Skillgigs marketplace. Sign up here.