Travel Nurse License in Hawaii, California, and New York

How does traveling to states like California, New York, and Hawaii sound to you?

Most healthcare providers introduced to the idea of travel nursing are enticed by the lifestyle and freedom available to travelers, and they often ask about popular states like these first.

If you’ve read any of our latest healthcare blogs, you may have heard us mention the NLC, (Nurse Licensure Compact), multiple times – but what’s the big deal? Well, the flexibility it offers healthcare providers, its ability to serve areas experiencing a staffing shortage quickly, and the number of states participating in the NLC are just a few great things that make it a really big deal. The NLC allows travelers to obtain a multistate license to practice in over 30 states. But what about the states not participating in the NLC?

Unfortunately, most first-time travelers avoid taking assignments in these states because of (a) the convenience of working quickly in a compact state or (b), the concern of a long, drawn-out process of getting licensure in another state. We’re here to make traveling to these extra fun states easier! With our SkillGigs’ licensure reimbursement program, why wait to travel to these amazing places seeking your skills?! Here’s everything you need to know about getting licensed in these top, in-demand locations.


Filled with beautiful greenery like the photo above, surrounded by vibrant beaches, and lively city life, the state of Hawaii has something to offer everyone. With its rich culture and welcoming residents, Hawaii remains at the top of almost every travel nurse’s assignment wish list. Here’s what you need to do to say “Aloha” to your next travel assignment:

  1. Fill out the application on Hawaii’s DCCA site for licensure through endorsement, along with a personal check, cashier’s check, or money order made out to COMMERCE & CONSUMER AFFAIRS. Application fees can be up to $234 depending on the timing, and your application will require a full background check. Everything you need to know about getting licensed to practice in Hawaii can be found within the application!
  2. If a temporary license is required, there is also a Temporary Permit for Nurse application available through the DCCA as well. For more information on licensure for Hawaii, visit

New York

New York, New York! What’s not to love about the city that never sleeps…/Temporary-Permit-for-Nurse_NSG-04-05_06.17.pdfs? This hot spot destination is perfect for any city guy/gal. If the bright lights and hustle & bustle of city life don’t interest you, the East Coast is filled with beautiful, wintery landscapes and long winding roads. What’s better than New York for the holidays? Traveling to the Big Apple is as easy as “1, 2, 3.”

  1. Form 1: Application for Licensure through the NYSED, along with its fee of $143.
  2. Form 2: Certification of Professional Education. There are different forms however if you’ve completed an equivalent program in the Armed Forces (Form 2AF), or if you’ve completed your nursing degree outside the U.S. (Form 2F). For more information about each form, visit here.
  3. Form 3: Verification of Other Professional Licensure/Certification. Or, if your state verifies licensure through Nursys, the NYSED will accept that as well. For all information on getting licensed in New York by endorsement, visit


California dreaming? We don’t blame you. As one of our largest states, it covers just about every type of excursion any traveler would want to try out. With plenty of sights to see, amusement parks, sandy beaches, wineries, big cities, mountain ranges, and more, you would need more than just a few days to try everything. Here’s how to get licensed to practice in the Golden State:

  1. Fill out your application by creating California’s BreEZe account.
  2. Complete your payment and submit your fingerprints. Nurses outside of California can request fingerprint cards to be sent through the mail. Ask us about our licensure reimbursement program if you take a gig in California through SkillGigs. Click here to request your fingerprint cards.
  3. Submit a passport photo that’s 2×2”. Online submissions allow you to upload your photo directly to your application. Need a photo? Local pharmacy stores like CVS and Walgreens take passport photos quickly.
  4. Verify your nursing license. If your state uses Nursys, you can access the verification site here.
  5. Request your transcripts to be sent directly from your school to the California Board of Nursing (BON).
  6. If you’ve ever had any disciplinary action or conviction, you’ll also need to submit letters of explanation to the BON and will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
  7. Last but not least, pay the fees. California charges $350, with an additional $100 if you request a temporary license (which might be something to consider if your desired assignment needs you there quickly). Remember, if you work an assignment with SkillGigs in California, we will gladly reimburse you these fees!

Want to travel to one of these three states? We have an immediate need and quick-start options available for you! Ask us about our licensure reimbursement program to get started!

Curious about SkillGigs? CLICK HERE!

Interested in Travel Healthcare? CLICK HERE!

Looking for more career advice or healthcare news? CLICK HERE!

Sign up for SkillGigs Newsletter and Stay Ahead of the Curve

Subscribe today to get the latest healthcare industry updates